When I started the hashtag, I never imagined it would transform into a global movement. But that is exactly what happened, thanks to survivors who are now demanding that their voice be heard. These are just a few things that I've learned over the past week:
1. Domestic violence is a right here, right now issue.
2. Domestic violence affects people from all backgrounds regardless of race, class, education or religion. Domestic violence knows no category. We are interconnected by this issue.
3. The reasons for staying are complex and varied.
4. Every reason, every voice, every person is important.
5. Between the time that I awoke today and the time I go to sleep, 3 women will have died because of domestic violence. Those are our sisters.
6. There are millions of people standing with survivors, from every nation in this world. That is POWER. That is hope. That is what we need. And that is why I won't quit.
September 8, 2014 was just the beginning for all survivors and supporters. There is more work to be done and I, for one, will be here until the work is finished.